I have a lot of health issues and have had serious ones in the past as well. I decided that I had to take health into my own hands. Upon further investigation I stumbled upon a book called GAPS; written by a renowned neurologist. She strongly suggests taking toxins out of the environment and so I did. Slowly, but surely, I have gotten rid of the major silent killers. And yes, that meant my “amazing” key lime Yankee candles that I just love so much. Sigh. BUT! It has been for the better.
My allergies have decreased, my headaches have significantly lessened, and my allergic reaction to chemicals has become nonexistent.
So, I bet your dying to know the simple product changes I made to start my non-toxic journey?!
Here they are:
1. Face Cleanser – LOVE my new face soap. I was struggling with my face and when I decided to switch from my toxic Bare Minerals face soap to Acure facial cleanser gel (superfruit + chlorella growth factor) I wondered why I had ever use another. I woke up the next morning to a glowing complexion and my pimples were already disappearing. I use it the evenings and it takes everything off. My husband laughs at me because he said my face turns green when I scrub with it….it literally takes off my mascara, waterproof eyeliner, and makeup without burning, drying or irritating.
2. Hand Soap –So, get this: I was using Bath and Body hand soaps religiously to wash my hands. I loved it. Who doesn’t love those yummy smells? But unfortunately, my fingers were breaking out with itchy clusters of bumps all over….it was so weird! I never connected the two; that is, until I began my non-toxic journey. I nixed all my hand soaps and opted for less toxic ones—for example, The Honest Company’s Hand Soap. Within DAYS I noticed a HUGE difference. No longer do I have bumps or itchiness. (Oh, and P.S. Bath and Body Works does not list their ingredients on their website….hmm…fancy that! I had to go to a different site to garner that info.)
Triclosan 0.3% (ACTIVE ingredient), Water (Aqua, Eau), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Fruit Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Honey Extract (Mel, Extrait de Miel), Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Cocamidopropylamine Oxide, Hydroxyethyl Urea, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, PPG-1-PEG-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Propylene Glycol, Triethylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Benzophenone-4, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 40 (CI 16035), Yellow 10 (CI 47005).
Here’s what the Honest Hand Soap is FREE of:
phthalates, SLS, SLES, triclosan, synthetic fragrances, glycol, enzymes, dyes, phosphates, 1,4-dioxane, chlorine, DEA, formaldehyde & caustics
3. Hand Sanitizer – Yes, yes, yes, you guessed it! The hand sanitizer is also from The Honest Company. I tried my friend’s and I got hooked. I simply had to purchase some; especially since the hand sanitizer I was using had wheat amino acids (not to mention tons of other nasty chemicals, look below) … fantastic! Not. I am gluten free and so this definitely was not helping…and I’m sure it was also contributing to those nasty little bumps.
Alcohol 68% (ACTIVE Ingredient), Water (Aqua, Eau), Isopropyl Alcohol, Fragrance (Parfum), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Honey Extract (Mel, Extrait de Miel), Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Extract, Wheat Amino Acids, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Glycerin, Carbomer, Lactose, Isopropyl Myristate, Cellulose, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Aminomethyl Propanol, Propylene Glycol, Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 10 (CI 47005), Red 40 (CI 16035), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Blue 1 (CI 42090).
REAL comforting, aye?
Honest Hand Sanitizer is Honestly FREE of:
tricolsan, benzalkonium chloride, phthalates parabens, fragrances, glycol, enzymes, dyes, chlorine, ammonia chloride, formaldehyde & petrochemicals
4. Candles – My friend suggested I change my candles out because she was reading how we breath in the toxins when we light these carcinogens. I never really thought about it. And let’s be honest, I didn’t want to think about it. But, I bought my Beeswax and I got some mason jars…and she and I had a party. We made our own candles and I absolutely love mine. Who needs fake scents and carcinogens floating in the air when I have beeswax candles?! I love mine and they have helped with allergies. I lit an old candle when a friend was coming over a week or so ago and both my husband’s and my head were tight. Now that’s crazy!
I highly suggest starting small and start purging little by little. I have seen radical differences in my brain fog as well. I have more energy, I don’t feel lethargic, and I just have sense of well-being. And I know it isn’t just the food…because I was eating super healthy prior to even eradicating the toxins.
5. Ecloths – LOVE these babies! Each ecloth contains millions of tiny fibers. Ecloth makes cleaning easy…with only water! Chemical free, natural and it works! I studied them against Norwex and they the same caliber at the fraction of the cost! Plus, my husband loves cleaning with them—which is ALWAYS a plus, right ladies? I got rid of my Clorox, our Windex, Lime-Away….all the crazy carcinogens that we were breathing in whilst cleaning. If I need a deep clean and something abrasive I use baking soda and vinegar …. It cleans my showers and toilets just as well as the leading chemical laden disinfectant spray. I wash mine in fragrance free non-toxic detergent once per week. If you want to read more go here!
I was tired of living in the “ignorance is bliss” state and I’m SO glad I did my own research! Companies want your money. They don’t care about you. Maybe if we stop buying the carcinogens maybe they’ll start changing their formulas to suit OUR needs….and I don’t know about you, but cancer is not something I neither “need” NOR want.
Stay tuned for the next article that will share five more products I’ve switched over to!
Have you made the switch? If so, what products are YOUR favorite?
Picture By: BrokenClouds
Picture By: Necopunch
Picture By: MrsAppleGate